29 October 2016

Kusoi

Typical. When one gets bored, they procrastinate, especially when they have something to do. I was supposed to be studying, but instead, I played video games in the middle of the exam month. The gap between my previous paper date and my next one was about a week, so I wasn't worried, but I should've.

For a few hours, I sat on my favourite chair with a controller in my hands, killing raiders in an apocalyptic world, destroyed by a nuclear fallout. I had all the time in the world that night. The room was cozy and I had nothing to worry about.

I thought everyone in the house was asleep, but my dad opened the door slightly, in the middle of night, and I figured he just wanted to see me, making sure everything was okay. He smiled, and I noticed he had a plastic bag in his hand. He lifted it and asked, "Hungry?" Before I could answer, he saw it through my face that I was hungry, so he continued, "We eat this later together." Then he closed the door and went to his room.

I laughed, because it was random; My dad came in the middle of the night, asked if I was hungry and wanted to have a midnight snack together.

A few minutes later, he opened the door again and went into my room. He had the plastic with him, so I immediately paused my game and followed him. He sat down on the carpeted floor and insisted me to join him. I sat down with him, and he reached inside the plastic bag. I expected food in a plastic or styrofoam container, but he pulled out a lunch box and a small plastic container, inside was filled with white powder. I was really curious of what he brought.

He told me, "A friend of mine made this for me, it's called 'Kusoi'." I never heard of it before, so I began to wonder how it would look like. He gently opened the lunch box and the whole box was packed with brown cakes. I was surprised. He opened the small container as well, grabbed one of the cakes, dipped it into the white powder and ate it.

I was eager to try it, so I took one, did what he did and took a bite. The cake was cold, and eating it with the powder made it even better. I didn't expect it would be that delicious. I took another one and ate it without the powder,  surprisingly, it was still tasty. I started asking my dad questions about it; what is the white powder, how is the cake made, is it a traditional food and more. Apparently, the white powder was coconut powder, I didn't expect that. I guessed my dad was thirsty because I was too, so I left my room for a while, grabbed two bottles of water from the fridge and went back.

After we finished, dad stood up and told me throw away the plastic bag along with the coconut powder. I thought it would be a waste throwing the powder, but I threw it anyway. No sense of keeping it since all the cakes was already in our stomach. He left the room, and I sat on my chair, smiled and continued my video game.

Truly, it is one of the moments I will cherish forever. Being with my dad in the middle of the night, eating together the best cake I never tried before in my life. Father and son bonding.

No comments:

Post a Comment